Written about the magic of the hustle, that there can be cathartic release in leaning into the thing that drives you:
“Music drives me. The beat that’s in my head keeps me going. I don’t need any medicine or anyone to calm me down! It’s not a sickness”-Blu DeTiger’s remarks on the track
Blu DeTiger’s music video for “In My Head,” is a neon-colored take on Alice In Wonderland. Benjamin Ruttner of The Knocks directs the video. The video shows Blu hosting an adult tea party with three Bratz dolls. Instead of cups of tea, it’s bottle service.
“I grew up in the New York club culture, and like me, the video represents child-like imagination and innocence with a twist.”
“In My Head” is the first release of 2019 for the GRAMMY-nominated independent New York record label, HeavyRoc Music. HeavyRoc Music has released songs from the likes of Sofi Tukker, St. Lucia, Alex Winston and more.
Born and raised in New York, Blu takes inspiration from the city’s rebel culture of the 1970s. Her first live performance was a Rolling Stones tribute show at the iconic CBGB club. CBGB was the testing grounds for Blondie and Talking Heads to name a few. This early experience would provide the foundation for Blu’s commitment to a career of bohemian experimentation. With a no fucks given DIY attitude, and affection for all things glitter.
The daughter of artist parents, Blu picked up her first electric bass at the age of seven years old.
“My brother played the drums and I wanted to play an instrument too. I thought the guitar was too mainstream so I chose bass. I wanted to be unique”.
She quickly educated herself and mastered bass lines from songs by Prince, Sly, Family Stone, and CHIC. Messing around on her Dad’s old Technics, turntables helped spark her youthful interest in being a DJ. Also helping Blu discover the fine details of music-making which began at 17.
Blu started picking up DJ gigs at clubs around the city. Quickly becoming a fixture at House of Yes, underground warehouse parties, and pop up fashion events. Taking that early childhood passion to the next level, Blu currently studies at NYU’s Clive Davis Institute. Which is home to some of the best bass players and musicians in the world such as Jerry Barnes (Nile Rodgers and Chic) and Steven Wolf (Alicia Keys, Beyonce, P!NK) – as mentors. A statuesque 5’10”, it is hard to miss Blu lugging around her signature royal-blue-sparkly Fender bass to gigs between classes at NYU. As if this schedule was not sleep-inducing enough, Blu is also a touring member of the alt-rock band Kitten.
Tour Dates (With The Knocks):
- 1.24: Vancouver, BC @ Fortune Sound Club [TICKETS]
- 1.25: Seattle, WA @ The Showbox [TICKETS]
- 1.26: Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom [TICKETS]
- 1.29: Chico, CA @ Senator Theatre [TICKETS]
- 1.31: Sacramento, CA @ Ace of Spades [TICKETS]
- 2.1: San Luis Obispo, CA @ The Fremont Theater [TICKETS]
- 2.2: Los Angeles, CA @ The Novo [TICKETS]
- 2.5: Santa Fe, NM @ Meow Wolf [TICKETS]
- 2.6: Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater [TICKETS]
- 2.8: Dallas, TX @ Club Dada [TICKETS]
- 2.9: Austin, TX @ Scoot Inn [TICKETS]
- 2.10: Houston, TX @ House of Blues [TICKETS]
- 2.12: St.Louis, MO @ The Ready Room [TICKETS]
- 2.14: Chicago, IL @ Concord Music Hall [TICKETS]
- 2.15: Columbus, OH @ A and R Music Bar [TICKETS]
- 2.16: Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE [TICKETS]
- 2.17: Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club [TICKETS]
- 2.20: Philadelphia, PA @ Theater of the Living Arts [TICKETS]
- 2.21: Cambridge, MA @ The Sinclair [TICKETS]
- 2.23: Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel [TICKETS]
Free To Share:
Connect With Blu DeTiger:
- WEBSTER HALL, HISTORIC NYC VENUE, WILL REOPEN 2019
- SOFI TUKKER’S ‘TREEHOUSE’ NOMINATED FOR BEST DANCE/ELECTRONIC ALBUM