Ganja White Night (Benjamin “Bamby” Bayeul and Charlie “Erwan” Dodson) releases The Origins LP, featuring collaborations with Caspa, Boogie T, Dirt Monkey, and Zeds Dead. Out now on Subcarbon Records, the duo’s record label, The Origins is available to purchase/stream here!
The album is accompanied by a narrative video series by renowned graffiti artist Ebo, who will join them on select stops of a new U.S. tour featuring Subcarbon label mates. Even though each date will open with a B2B DJ set from the roster, GWN’s performance features live instrumentation, editing, remixing and improvisation more like a band playing only original material.
Inspired by composers like Hans Zimmer, Ganja White Night (aka the Wobble Brothers) create cinematic bass music that incorporates reggae, dub, hip-hop, and drum and bass with influences from the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. “We have some inspirations that never change,” they say. “We’ve always been fans of ethnic sounds and ethnic voices, long intros, harmonies.” On The Origins, this includes guest vocals from singer Simona Brezanova.
From languid introductions to intense party jams and downtempo grooves, the 12 tracks tell the story of “Mr. Wobble”, a superhero who creates music and the world he inhabits. Of the shifts in tone and tempo, the duo says, “Back in the day contrast was important, having a phrase answered by another one, it’s a discussion between two songs or grooves.”
Indeed, they approach collaborations in the same poetic spirit. Teaming up with Caspa, in particular, was the fulfillment of an actual dream. After meeting at a show in Minneapolis in 2016 and beginning to work on a track via Skype, Ben relayed a story to Caspa. “At one point I said, ‘I have to tell you something, Gary. Ten years ago you came to Belgium and played a show in a small room…’ I was so close to the DJs I could almost touch them. I have this picture of him pointing at me, I showed him this picture and told him, I knew this would happen in a dream.’”
“Samurai”, the collaboration with Zeds Dead, which came down to the wire and almost didn’t happen, turned out to be one of the most surprising tracks either act has recorded. Billboard raved: “A beautiful piano intro slowly opens the door toward a sonic landscape rich with exotic textures. Yes, this tune has bass, but it’s delivered in a subtle, evolutionary way that speaks to a strong sense of musicality and directive. Honestly, if this is what Zeds Dead and Ganja White Night are capable of together, they should have combined forces years ago.”
Aside from telling the story of “Mr. Wobble”, another reason for the album’s title refers to its similarity to their debut. “We didn’t care about making ‘easy to mix’ tracks,” they say. “We did that again for this album, we thought some tracks need a universe. If it takes a two-minute intro to make the drop worth it, that’s what we do.” Concurrently, they didn’t rush the album, which they began working on in the fall of 2016. “We try to release an album every year since we started in 2010. 2017 is the first year we didn’t do that because we were touring too much to make it happen on time,” they say.
Ganja White Night formed in Brussels and as a result of the support from an ardent community for a string of wall-rattling hits, the duo has become international sensations, a phenomenon sure to continue once The Origins drops.
“I’m not the least bit hesitant to say that this new album is going to be the one that we’re the most happy about to date,” Ben promises.
Furthermore, Ganja White Night will start their winter tour with Caspa, Downlink, Opiuo, and Dirt Monkey this week. For tour information and to purchase tickets, click here!
2018 Tour Dates
- 2/8/2018 Thursday Grand Rapids, MI – The Intersection # + ^
- 2/9/2018 Friday Chicago, IL – The Aragon # ^
- 2/10/2018 Saturday Detroit, MI – Royal Oak # + ^
- 2/12/2018 Monday Buffalo, NY – Town Ballroom + ^
- 2/13/2018 Tuesday Syracuse, NY – Westcott Theater ^
- 2/14/2018 Wednesday Boston, MA – House of Blues * ^
- 2/15/2018 Thursday Philadelphia, PA – Electric Factory + ^
- 2/16/2018 Friday New York City, NY – Playstation Theater * ^
- 2/17/2018 Saturday Richmond, VA – The National + ^
- 2/18/2018 Sunday Washington, DC – 9:30 Club ^
- 2/21/2018 Wednesday Knoxville, TN – The International + ^
- 2/23/2018 Friday Atlanta, GA – Tabernacle = ^
- 2/24/2018 Saturday Nashville, TN – Limelight + ^
- 2/27/2018 Tuesday Tulsa, OK – Cain’s + ^
- 2/28/2018 Wednesday Fayetteville, AR – George’s Majestic ^
- 3/1/2018 Thursday Lincoln, NE – Bourbon Theatre + ^
- 3/2/2018 Friday Kansas City, MO – Arvest Bank Theatre at Midland + ^
- 3/3/2018 Saturday St. Louis, MO – The Pageant = + ^
- 3/8/2018 Thursday Salt Lake City, UT – Sky +
- 3/10/2018 Saturday Portland, OR – Roseland = +
+ Dirt Monkey
Connect with Ganja White Night
Finally, check out more releases on OneEDM here!